Monitor CANT OPEN MOUTH. Anyone seen this??

Thread: Monitor CANT OPEN MOUTH. Anyone seen this??

Tags: None

SwampDonkey said:

Monitor CANT OPEN MOUTH. Anyone seen this??

Skittles cant open his mouth, seems sluggish, and isnt as agile as he normally is. This came on within 36hrs, starting with a general laziness 2 days ago. Has anyone seen this before???? W'ere worried sick.
    Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vey45X9CCC0

2. jere000 said:
    I have only seen this in lizards with MBD (Metabollic Bone Disease) I'm not saying that's what this is because I honestly have no clue but that's all I can think of.

SwampDonkey said:
    Quote Originally Posted by jere000 View Post
    I have only seen this in lizards with MBD (Metabollic Bone Disease) I'm not saying that's what this is because I honestly have no clue but that's all I can think of.
    Thats what my research turned up but he gets lots and lots of calcium in his diet. Everything he eats has a skeleton and on top of that he gets bone-flour fortified with vitamins. Full spectrum lighting, the works. I pinched on him and hes still as muscular and hard as ever. Just a couple of days ago he was leaping at me for food. I just dont get it.

the_soloist said:
    Is it possible to overload with calcium of some other vitamins? Maybe it's a neurological issue. I really don't know, but can't imagine it would be mbd with the amount of supplement you provide.

5. jere000 said:
    I would take him to the vet to be sure.I hope he's alright and pulls through for you.

gbbassett said:
    How much calcium is he getting.Because you can give to much and the symptoms are the same as mdb.I dont know to much about it,but krusty can explain it.

Greg

7. hendricksontat said:
    wow thats heart braking, hope you can get answers soon, yeah i would like some feedback on the to much calcium. I only use calcium once a week. I feel I shouldn't have to go crazy with the stuff.

SwampDonkey said:
    Quote Originally Posted by gbbassett View Post
    How much calcium is he getting.Because you can give to much and the symptoms are the same as mdb.I dont know to much about it,but krusty can explain it.

Greg
    Well I wish there was some way for me to get ahold of him. Im researching hypercalcimia now but cant find anything about the lock-jaw.

9. jere000 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by gbbassett View Post

Greg
    Justin goes on this forum?

10. Gatorhunter1231 said:
    I would also say MBD do to how he walks on his wrist and lack of jaw movement. It normally doesn't hit so quickly though which would suggest a toxin whether it is from too much of something/not enough/or eating something not on the menu.

1)Are you still doing a turkey mixture with your added chicken bone calicum?
    Maybe he is getting high levels or protein that your calcium can not met. AKA protein is be used at an accelarated rate where the calicum isn't. Wonder what the yeild of chicken bone is compared to rats, mice, etc? Chicken bone is a hollow bone where mammal bones are more solid.

2) This is a brand new cage. Are you positive that your dirt does not have any pesticides or fertizliers? Is there anything else that could be toxic, whether it be fumes or toxic from being eaten? BT's are not know for intelligence and will eat anything that they think is food.

3) Hypercalcemia- is it possiable that you are overdosing him with calcium. Look this up to see if any symptoms relate.

4) Go over everything in the cage. Temps (highs and lows), humidty (highs and lows), basking temps-if they are not 140 surface then you better pump it up a little. Make sure humidty is in 65% zone right now. This could go down hill quickly so stay on top of hydration and heat so you are not fighting this as well. Do not interact with him, less stress as possiable.

5) Have you feed anything odd in the last few days? Something is out of balance for sure.

6) You mention vitamins- what vitamins, how much. Too much can be lethal or can also decrease motor skills.

7) This is the one you are not going to like-
    Contact krusty (Justin) and Crocdoc (Dave) whether it be private message or open forum. I would also suggest contacting Frank Retes. He is found on kingsnake's forum or on varanus.net (not so many noobs/ so easier for straight answers). If possiable, sign up on varanus.nl-extremely knowledge guys that are book smart to illness, toxins, etc.

Just seeing your video isn't enough for me to make a diagnose. It doesn't give the critcal info. Temps, humidty, food schedule, supplements, past 2 weeks activity, etc.
    Hope something here helps in guiding you to the next step.