Eastern Box Turtle Eggs. Collapsed? Help!

Thread: Eastern Box Turtle Eggs. Collapsed? Help!

Tags: None
  1. seaya89 said:

Eastern Box Turtle Eggs. Collapsed? Help!

I just collected some eggs from my Eastern Box turtles, and have a question.
    I have 12 Eastern Box turtles. 9 females and 3 males. They are kept outdoors all summer long. The temps around here have been 85-90 degrees with lots of humidity. (Michigan)
    I collected 7 eggs. 1 egg from one turtle, and three each from two others. 3 seperate clutchs.
    I put them in a tuperware with vermiculite and moss, put a heat lamp on them witha a thermometer, and kept them at 85 degrees, and misted them a few times each day. I keep the house air conditioned at 74 degrees, but the thermometer that is sitting with the eggs has been kept at 85-87 degrees.
    After two days, six of the eggs, all three from each of the later two clutches partially collapsed. It looks like someone took a finger and just pushed in the side. The other one egg is fine. Still keeping it's shape.
    They did this two days after I collected them, and I collected them the morning after they were laid. I watched the females digging the holes the night before.
    They eggs were handled very gently, and were not tipped or rolled around at all.
    I have read that they can have "dents" in them, but these are pretty severe. My guess is they are bad, but I am gonna keep them until I know for sure. Mainly, I want to know what I may have done to cause this, and how I can prevent it with eggs in the future.
    Any input or advice would be great.
    Dan
    0.0.2 Redfoots, 1.2.1 Russians, 2.5.3 Eastern Boxies, 0.0.1 Ornate Boxie, 0.0.2 Red Belly Cooters, 0.0.2 Yellow Belly Cooters, 0.0.1 Miss. Map, 0.0.1 musk, 0.0.1 RES, and one mean as heck, canabalistic mud turle named "Killer".

Cubby23 said:
    Well, I'm not sure about turtle eggs. But if water touches a gecko egg it will collaspe. You mixture could be too wet or too dry. The eggs are still savable.

Panther said:
    The eggs are fine, turtle eggs do that, as long as they're not completely flattened or collapsed, with proper incubation they should still hatch. It is common for them to develop dents and flattened sides, and the perfectly round one will probably end up with one too. It's natural, don't worry, they should still hatch.
    ~k

4. seaya89 said:
    Thanks Panther.
    50% of the people say they are fine, and 50% say they are probably toast.
    They still look fine, except for being dented. I will keep them until they are for sure dead. I got a hovabator incubator and put them in cups with vermiculite and some moss. I put the lids on them cups and put them in the incubator. I look in the window every day to see if they are still moist, which so far they are.
    Who knows? Maybe I will get lucky.

Thanks for the advice.
    Dan
    0.0.2 Redfoots, 1.2.1 Russians, 2.5.3 Eastern Boxies, 0.0.1 Ornate Boxie, 0.0.2 Red Belly Cooters, 0.0.2 Yellow Belly Cooters, 0.0.1 Miss. Map, 0.0.1 musk, 0.0.1 RES, and one mean as heck, canabalistic mud turle named "Killer".

Panther said:
    Sure, glad I could help. Good luck!
    ~k